Sonoff S20, RF Bridge and PIR2 Motion Detector

With a lot of smart home products coming on the market, and being discussed in my various news feeds, I was keen to start experimenting with some devices.

There appeared to be a lack of products intended for the Australian market, and so after a bit of reading I learnt about Sonoff products manufactured by a company named ITEAD and purchased the following items.

Sonoff S20 Smart Plug


Sonoff RF Bridge


Sonoff PIR2 Infrared Motion Detector


My thinking was that I would use the S20 Smart Plug to experiment with some home automations, and use the RF Bridge and IR Motion Detector as the beginnings of a home security system.

Configuration required installation of the eWeLink app by Sonoff. Unfortunately, when I sat down to start configuring the RF Bridge, I realised that potentially I was giving away more information through the app than I was willing to provide. My first pause point was the need to provide the password to my WiFi network. I also considered that these devices would be able to see or scan all of the other devices on my network, could theoretically determine their location from surrounding WiFi networks, and would have unfettered access to the internet to send all of this information back to their home.

Consequently, I uninstalled the app, and put these devices in the cupboard to give me time to think some more about what information I was prepared to give up in order to start experimenting.

So, a bit of an anti-climax unfortunately.

(P.S. You can read about what I ended up doing with the Sonoff S20)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Irrigation Controller with Tasmota and Home Assistant

Controlling Samsung Air Conditioner from Home Assistant

Brilliant Smart Ceiling Fan Remote in Home Assistant