Enclosure for Wemos D1 Mini and environmental sensors

I've been trying for a number of weeks to find a solution to house a Wemos D1 Mini and some environmental sensors. There are lots of good options for 3D printed enclosures, and I read many posts like this, but I could quite find something that I thought would work.

Eventually I stumbled across this video, that showed a nice simple looking case available from Bangood. I purchased a couple of different sizes, which you can see in the images below. The smaller is 70x54x27mm, and the larger is 100x80x32mm.



I also purchased some of these mini breadboards, as I was hoping to make temporary connections between a Wemos D1 Mini and various sensors just using Dupont cables, so that I could easily change the sensor setup without having to resolder.


I've found these breadboards to be very nice for quickly hooking various sensors up to the Wemos D1 Mini, and you can see some examples below.



The smaller enclosure size was great for just throwing an ESP8266 and a sensor together quickly, and making it look reasonably aesthetically pleasing. However, I just couldn't find a way to mount the components in it so that everything fitted and was fixed nicely.

So, I decided I needed to use the larger enclosure for some semi-permanent sensor configurations. 

The next challenge was trying to get the micro USB port on a Wemos D1 Mini to align nicely with the existing hole on the enclosure. After much head-scratching, I realised that if I put some header sockets on the breadboard, then seated the Wemos, and attached the breadboard to the upper section of the enclosure, the USB port was at exactly the right height. See below.




I was planning to set up two enclosures. The first was to be mounted outside, and included a DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor, and BME280 temperature, humidity and pressure sensor, and a BH1750 illuminance sensor, in addition to the Wemos D1 Mini. I cut some holes for the BH1750 and the DHT22, and was planning to mount the BME280 directly on the breadboard. The sensors are currently held with double-sided tape, but I will use silicon if I need something more secure. You can see how I configured that enclosure below.






I'm also not sure how this enclosure will hold up outside. Although it is out of the weather, I suspect that over time some of the components will corrode, but it will do for the time being.

Next, I wanted an enclosure with another DHT22 temperature and pressure, and an AM312 PIR motion sensor for use in a bathroom. The setup for this enclosure is below.




So, overall they are a bit large and clunky, but I'm reasonably happy with the result. 

The Wemos D1 Minis are flashed with Tasmota, and the module configurations are below.

For the BME280 and BH1750 (which both use I2C) and the DHT22.


And for the DHT22 and AM312 PIR sensor, which I've also written about here.



Comments

  1. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Shelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Irrigation Controller with Tasmota and Home Assistant

Controlling Samsung Air Conditioner from Home Assistant

Brilliant Smart Ceiling Fan Remote in Home Assistant