Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi Zero W

I found out about Home Assistant while searching for a solution that would let me control a Broadlink RM Pro locally over the network.



Already having access to a Raspberry Pi Zero W, meant that there was a reasonably low barrier to entry to get Home Assistant running.

After a bit of reading, and given that I already had Rasbian Stretch installed on the Pi Zero W and am reasonably comfortable with Linux, I decided to install Home Assistant in a Python virtual environment (venv).

I also set up Home Assistant to autostart using systemd.

The Pi Zero W is not really recommended for running Home Assistant, and I did run into some issues that may have been caused by low specs of the device. Specifically, I had installation of some pre-requisite packages fail, and some updates failed, which I suspect was due to some activities timing out. Also, the CPU usage would regularly sit on 100% for minutes at a time when trying to check the configuration or restart Home Assistant.

The first thing I tried to do with Home Assistant was get the Broadlink RM Pro to replace some of my universal remote controls, which I'll talk more about here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Irrigation Controller with Tasmota and Home Assistant

Controlling Samsung Air Conditioner from Home Assistant

Brilliant Smart Ceiling Fan Remote in Home Assistant