Brilliant WiFi A60 globes RGB+W (20699)

After having some recent success with the Brilliant RGB+W 20741 E27 globes, I decided to purchase the B22 version of (what I thought) was the same globe, the Brilliant WiFi A60 RGB+W 20699 B22 globe.

You can see some images of the globe and box here.





I followed the same process as with the 20741, flashing Tasmota using tuya-convert, and attempting to use the template for the 20741 in the repository.

The 20741 template uses the following pin assignment:
GPIO4 - PWM1 - red
GPIO12 - PWM2 - green
GPIO14 - PWM3 - blue
GPIO5 - PWM4 - warm white

To test the globe, I then tried cycling through the following commands in the Tasmota console to light each led:
red: Color1 1
green: Color1 2
blue: Color1 3
white: White 100

After this test, the only response I saw from the globe was the white led was lit when I tried to set the globe to a green colour. This told me the 20741 template wasn't correct for this globe, but also gave me a hint that the white led was responding to a PWM signal on GPIO12.

I then proceeded to set each GPIO pin to a PWM channel to attempt to elicit a response from the globe. All I came up with was that GPIO13 was giving me a dull bluish/white colour, suggesting that the red, green and blue leds were being lit simultaneously.

This had me stumped. I started to suspect that the globe must have some sort of RGB led controller. So I first tried setting each GPIO pin separately in turn to be a WS2812 device; no luck.

Next, I stumbled across some information suggesting that a number of Tuya-based bulbs used an SM16716 controller. Given that this controller requires three pins (PWR, CLK, DAT) I figured it would take too long to work out the correct combination of pins.

So, in desperation, I decided to sacrifice one globe and see if I could find any clues inside. You can see some images as I dismantled it below, based partially on these instructions for a similar globe.







The board with the ESP8266 chip on it fortunately yielded the clue I needed, suggesting that the DAT and CLK channels were on GPIO4 and GPIO5 respectively, as you can see from the zoomed images of the top and bottom of the ESP826 board below:



I assumed that the PWR channel was on GPIO13, as this channel appeared to be lighting the red, green and blue LEDs together, and then finally globe start working correctly! 

So, the correct pin assignment ended up being:

GPIO4 - SM16716 DAT (141)
GPIO5 - SM16716 CLK(141)
GPIO12 - PWM1 (37)
GPIO13 - SM16716 PWR(141)

You can see the active template here:



I've also submitted this to the Tasmota templates repository.

I suspect this template will also work for the E27 version of this globe, which has model number 20698.

Comments

  1. Hi mate, really like your blog. I'm in Adelaide. What would you suggest a good route to go for dimmable downlights via wifi? I'm currently using Fibaro z-wave modules behind each light switch, but I don't like the sluggish response of z-wave - although to be fair I have about 20 zwave devices including motion and door sensors as well as the dimmers etc.

    I'm using Home Assistant by the way.

    So I'm leaning toward wifi devices as the couple of Lifx screw in bulbs I have are virtually instant. The Lifx downlights are pretty pricy, so wondering if there's a Tasmota route for Aussie certified downlights.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Glad you're enjoying the blog.

      I haven't actually tried any WiFi downlights, but I suspect a good starting point would be the Brilliant WiFi downlights, which you can find here.

      There is also already a Tasmota template for them here.

      Delete
  2. These bulbs no longer use the ESP8266 and can't be reflashed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Irrigation Controller with Tasmota and Home Assistant

Controlling Samsung Air Conditioner from Home Assistant

Brilliant Smart Ceiling Fan Remote in Home Assistant